As you have perhaps already seen, the General Practice Section listserve will be transitioning to an online Community within the next few weeks. We are notifying listserve members prior to the rest of the Section in order to allow you time to familiarize yourself with the platform before switching over.
Please note that the Community can be accessed via email, similarly to how the current listserve functions, but there are also additional features available to you-- including a member directory, and a library which can contain a repository of useful documents and forms as they are shared by members.
Below is more complete information, which should answer your questions; but should you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact myself or Brandon Vogel (firstname.lastname@example.org / ph: 518-487-5535).
New York State Bar Association
email@example.com / ph: (518) 487-5524
We are pleased to announce NYSBA's new private online professional community for the General Practice Section. We will launch the community on September 16, 2015. Shortly after that time, the listserve will cease and be archived on the Community for 30 days.
While the communications functionality will be similar to a listserve, there is a new look and a new address to use on September 16 and going forward.
In addition to offering an online discussion feature, the new Communities offer the Resource Library, an unlimited repository of information. Any member of the committee may add information to the library and any member may access information in the library. Posting requires no special expertise or training. In fact, you can post to the library by attaching a file to a discussion post just like you do for email. The library can accept all file types (PDFs, documents, spreadsheets, presentations, audio files, videos and even links). We will add documentation to the library as we receive it to create a central repository of all documents.
With regards to privacy, communities allow users to control their personal privacy settings at all times and at every line of their profile. No commercial search engines are allowed to index information from NYSBA Communities and internal search results are only available to those logged in as members of a specific Community.
Communities offer several options for receiving communications. They are:
· Real Time: Members will receive messages from the group as they are posted. These are formatted HTML messages. Real Time subscribers may interact with the community entirely through email if they wish. When replying to a message, Real Time subscribers may reply to the discussion through their email (Outlook, Gmail, etc.) or they may reply to either the sender or the discussion using the embedded links on the bottom of every message.
· Daily Digest: Members will receive one email per day from the Community when messages have been posted. The Digest compiles numerous messages into a string and users can respond to various threads using the embedded links in the Digest. Members can also interact through email alone if they choose.
· Plain Text: Members who prefer a plain text display (the classic listserve format with mime code) may select the Plain text format. Member subscribers will receive messages as they are posted and may participate through email only.
· No Email: Members who participate through the web site or the Communities mobile app may select No Email. The NYSBA Communities mobile app is available for free download from the App Store or the Google Play Store. (Search for NYSBA in either store.) Members opting to use the app have full access to all features of Communities. You should log-in to the website first before downloading the app.
Members will be auto-subscribed to the Daily Digest option on September 16. If you haven't used the NYSBA Communities before, you may need to accept the Terms and Conditions. If you wish to receive messages in Real Time, please log into the community on or after September 16th to set your preferences. If you would like to use the Community primarily via email, in the classic listserve format, we recommend setting your preference to Plain Text.
We encourage you to visit the Community and set up your profile at this time. For instructions on logging in, please visit www.nysba.org/communitieslogin. From "My Groups" listed under the Groups menu, select "Communities to which I belong or can join," and select "Join" or "Enter" next to General Practice Section. You are welcome to post messages in the community at any time; though please note that only those members who have actively subscribed to the Community will see your posts prior to September 16.
The current listserve address will be available through September 15. After that point, please use the following address in place of firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to participate in the Community via email: nysba_generalpracticesectionne@ConnectedCommunity.org
We look forward to seeing you in the GP Section Community! If you have any questions or need assistance, please don't hesitate to contact Brandon Vogel, NYSBA's Social Media & Web Content Manager, at email@example.com.
FAQs about NYSBA Communities:
1. How do I log in for the first time?
Go to http://communities.nysba.org. In the top right corner, you will see a button that says Sign In (have your NYSBA username and password ready). The Communities link is also accessible at the top of www.nysba.org.
Once signed in, you will see a drop down menu in the top right corner. Click Profile and go to My Account. Under My Account, choose Email Preferences. Scroll to Community Emails and hit Configure Your Subscriptions.
Here, you can choose your email settings of Real Time, Daily Digest, Plain Text or No Email (further explained in Question 3).
2. Do I have to log-in every time?
You only need to log-in if you want to upload a library file or post a blog entry or event. You can start a discussion/post a new message through email and you can respond to all discussion threads from your email, either to the entire community or just the sender.
3. What are my choices for how I receive or view messages?
· Real Time: you will receive messages live as you would from a listserve in a more dynamic version.
· Daily Digest: you will receive one clean email per community with a list of the discussion threads from each day; it is mailed after 2:00 a.m. This is the default setting for most communities.
· Plain Text: If you prefer the original listserve method of sending/receiving email
· No email: If you use the app, you can receive notifications in place of email.
4. How do I set up a separate Inbox in Outlook or other standard email formats?
In Outlook, right-click on your Inbox and hit New Folder. You can create a rule that automatically moves all Community emails to this new folder.
5. Will I need to set up a signature block or enter my name and other information each time I post a message?
No, your contact information as it appears on your NYSBA privacy setting will automatically appear. You may also modify this information or pull in a LinkedIn profile (recommended).
6. Can I also access the Community from my smart phone?
Yes, simply go to the App or Google Play Store, search for NYSBA Communities, load the App and then and select your Community. (Entries will appear on your phone in order of posting rather than as a thread.) The app is highly recommended.
Stephanie A. Bugos Section Liaison
New York State Bar Association
One Elk Street, Albany, NY 12207
direct/fax: 518.487.5524 | main: 518.463.3200 | email: firstname.lastname@example.org | www.nysba.org
Visit www.nysba.org/socialmedia for a list of the New York State Bar Association's social media sites.